St. Andrew Catholic School is committed to academic excellence and to developing the students’ spirituality and creativity in order to be disciples of Christ in the 21st century.
St. Andrew Catholic School is located in the Pine Hills area of Orlando, Florida. The Pine Hills community in Orlando learned in 1955 that it would soon be established as a new parish. A church was the first building planned on the site facing highway 50. The new chapel was dedicated in March of 1956. Ground was broken in mid-June, 1961, for a school in November, eight classrooms and an administration building was ready to open. The school was officially dedicated on January 15, 1962. There were 385 students initially enrolled. In 1966 there were 600 students enrolled. It cost approximately $130,000 to build the school that was entirely financed by the parish tithing program. Seven lay teachers were hired for staff and Fr. Cyril J. Kennedy, C.Pp.S., was the first principal. In April of 1963, by papal order, St. Andrew parish was given over in perpetuity to the Society of the Precious Blood. Three sisters of the Precious Blood from Dayton, Ohio arrived to teach at the school.
Soon after, the school expanded to 16 classrooms, an infirmary, a library, two offices and four “fully equipped” restrooms. This addition was dedicated in 1965. Christopher R. Clarke became the school principal in 1968. In 1970, Mr. Henry Marino assumed the principal position. After five years, Mr. Ken Soistman, who had been a teacher at All Souls School in Sanford for six years, began his administration at St. Andrew School in June, 1976.
Additional structures were built throughout the years including the Parish Center, which is also utilized as a gym. A fully equipped kitchen and stage were included in the design of this building. Neidert Hall was built to allow for additional meeting space and cafeteria with a partial Kitchen.
In 1995, Mr. Soistman left St. Andrew School after serving as principal for 20 years. Mrs. Roberta Streppone succeeded him as principal for two years. In 1998, Rev. Benjamin Berinti, C.Pp.S., Pastor of the parish school became the interim principal while Mrs. Yvonne Toro, assistant principal assumed full responsibilities for the daily operations of the school. Mrs. Kathryn Welsh became principal of St. Andrew School in July,, 1999. Mrs. Yvonne Toro was appointed the interim principal in February, 2001. Mrs. Yvonne Toro assumed full responsibilities as principal of St. Andrew School in May 2001. In July of 2007, Dr. Kathleen Kiley took over for Mrs Toro. Mrs. Latrina Peters-Gipson is the current principal of St. Andrew as of July, 2015.
Pine Hills is an area that has dramatically changed over the past twenty years. St. Andrew Catholic School was founded to serve the needs of the families in this area. Currently, families from various geographical areas are being served, while only a small percentage of families are from the surrounding area.
Throughout the years, a constant variable at St. Andrew Catholic School has been a dedicated staff striving to deliver a developmentally appropriate education for students in Pre-K through eighth grade. This school is committed to high standards of quality education while providing students with a clean, safe, and well-equipped environment.
St. Andrew Catholic School is a ministry of the Diocese of Orlando and is under the direction of the Office of Catholic Schools. It is accredited by the Florida Catholic Conference and is a member of the National Catholic Education Association. All teachers employed at St. Andrew possess professional or temporary teaching certification for the state of Florida, as well as religious certification from the Diocese of Orlando.